I Used to Dwell There | These Are My Can’t Miss Issues to See & Do In Porto Portugal
What are one of the best issues to see and do in Porto Portugal. I used to dwell there and simply obtained again from visiting once more. It’s a metropolis to really feel not simply to see. There are such a lot of issues to do and see in Porto Portugal no matter you love to do. Whether or not you want tradition, alcohol, scenic views, structure or simply wandering and exploring, it’s a reasonably compact metropolis with one thing for everybody. It’s additionally very easy to get round both on foot, by tram, taxi or Uber. There’s rather a lot to cowl about this metropolis however I’ll tr and canopy as a lot as attainable on this Porto journey information.
No matter you do, don’t rush. Porto is to be loved and to get immersed in. To spend time sipping on sundown drinks and having leisurely meals, getting misplaced strolling and discovering random road artwork. Porto’s a sense not only a place.
Right here’s my ideas on the highest issues to do, one of the best locations to take images in Porto Portugal and finest rooftop bars with beautiful views of town.
This put up incorporates affiliate hyperlinks.
Prime 15 issues to see and do in Porto Portugal
These are my favourite issues to do in Porto as a vacationer and you’ll match rather a lot in a day because it’s really easy to get round. We just about did all of Porto in 1 day, then Douro Valley the subsequent day.
There’s just a few I added onto the tip which are on most Porto journey guides however not in my prime picks as they’re more durable to do and extra time consuming.
1. Go Port tasting throughout the river in Villa Nova De Gaia
It’s named Porto for a motive and what’s a visit right here with out Port tasting. It’s one of many prime issues to do in Porto Portugal and might be as boozy or instructional as you need.
There are such a lot of Port caves to both e book excursions at or simply merely flip up for as tasting to. We began at Espaço Porto Cruz for lunch to line our stomachs. It’s a contemporary rooftop bar with just about 360* views throughout the river and Porto.
From right here, you may stroll to Port homes like Kopke Port Home (the oldest est. 1638), Cálem (who invented the pink port), Taylors, Grahams, Sandeman (est 1790) & Caves Ferreira that are all proper under.
I undoubtedly advocate doing a flight of some completely different vintages to have the ability to examine them e.g. ruby, tawny and a ten 12 months + classic. In addition to a white and pink port. White port with tonic is certainly one of my favourite lengthy cocktails on a scorching day or dry pink port as an after dinner drink.
You may get there by taxi, uber, metro or by speaking a scenic stroll throughout the higher deck of Ponte de Dom Luís I bridge higher deck.
When you’re right here you too can take the cable automobile, have drinks overlooking the river at one of many rooftop bars (particulars under), have a sundown dinner overlooking Porto.
2. Free Issues to do in Porto | Stroll throughout Pont de Dom Luis 1 bridge
That is completely free to do and presents a number of the finest views in Porto of either side of the river. It’s additionally fairly a singular and bustling expertise because the trains nonetheless run alongside the identical degree because the pedestrians. It does get busy at sundown so if you happen to’re on the lookout for a photograph opp both get there early to assert your spot or take it at a quieter time.
Pont Dom Luis crosses from Porto over to Villa Nova De Gaia on the prime of the hill by Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar and Jardim do Morrow. You may both stroll down the slender streets to the waterpront and port homes or take the cable automobile down.
3. Take the Gaia cable automobile
The Gaia Cable Automobile goes up and down between the port homes on the river degree and as much as Jardim do Morrow. It’s solely a 5 min experience however anticipate to attend some time in line.
The views from the highest at Jardin do Morrow are beautiful and a terrific IG picture opp. You may both loosen up within the park and hearken to dwell music (which occurs on plenty of evenings) or seize a cocktail on the bar Esplanada Teleferico.
Which is what we did to benefit from the views with one other cocktail. They’ve fabulous cocktails and charcuterie.
4. Journey the Porto tram #1 line
The #1 tram is a reasonably fast 20-30 minute experience every manner and one of the vital in style vacationer routes on the tram. The tram begins at Igreja de São Francisco by the river and makes its manner alongside the river to finish in Foz.
There’s not a complete lot to see in Foz but it surely’s a pleasant option to expertise the quaint tram with out taking on an excessive amount of time.
The opposite possibility is the #22 tram which works round plenty of the key vacationer sights.
5. Lunch in Praça Ribeira on the river
That is such a bustling and buzzy spot for lunch with a view in Porto. It will get busy so be ready to attend for a desk. I say lunch and never dinner as I like to recommend dinner in Villa Nova De Gaia not the Porto aspect of the river so that you’ve got Porto as your backdrop. The sundown’s higher from the Villa Nova aspect as effectively, extra on that under.
It’s additionally a terrific spot to take images of Porto’s bridge, monastry, the river, boats and Villa Nova De Gaia. Repeat on the opposite aspect of the river in Villa Nova to have Porto as your backdrop.
6. Sundown dinner in Villa Nova Da Gaia
The rationale I say to do sundown dinner in Villa Nova Da Gaia riverfront as an alternative of Porto is for two causes. One since you’re on the opposite aspect of the river to Porto and have it as you’re sweeping backdrop. If you happen to do dinner on the Porto aspect, you’re Villa Nova which continues to be beautiful but it surely’s not Porto.
Two due to the curve of the river and the way excessive the hills are in Porto you don’t get a lot of a sundown from the Porto waterfront versus Villa Nova De Gaia. It’s additionally rather a lot much less busy. I extremely advocate for a extra genuine eating expertise at very cheap costs.
7. Strive conventional Portuguese meals
What would a visit to Portugal be with out attempting their nationwide dish Bachalhou (salted cod). If that’s a bit intense for you, attempt Bolinhos de bacalhau (cod truffles) which you will discover at just about each little road cafe.
Casa Portuguesa Pastel de Bacalhau is tremendous touristy but it surely’s additionally beautiful and if you happen to’re on a time crunch it’s straightforward to pop in to only attempt certainly one of these which you too can see being made.
When you have a candy tooth, attempt the Portuguese custard tarts ‘pasteis de nata’. The bakeries in Portugal are so good so don’t miss their bread, croissants, pastries and occasional.
For a extremely genuine Portuguese dinner frequented by locals, take a look at Escondidinho (little hiding place). It’s the first Portuguese restaurant with two Michelin stars however the costs by no means replicate that. The costs are extremely cheap for the standard.
8. Go to Porto Cathedral
If you happen to’re on the lookout for one thing cultural head as much as Porto Cathedral on the prime of the hill. It’s one other nice panoramic view level and an escape from the warmth.
If you happen to’re on the lookout for someplace vigorous for lunch, take a look at the road cafe with its day by day ongoing BBQ’s and music. It’s situated proper on the backside of the steps you must climb to get to the cathedral. You received’t be capable of miss its music and bbq aromas.
9. Guide a sundown river cruise
If you happen to’re on the lookout for one thing romantic to do in Porto, e book a sundown river cruise. It’s a stunning option to see all the best way alongside the river and either side of it, get some recent air and loosen up.
10. Stroll alongside Rua das Flores for road artwork
There are such a lot of cute streets for procuring, cafés and road artwork. It’s grow to be much more geared in the direction of vacationers than after I lived right here however in a great way. It’s nonetheless held onto it’s appeal and authenticity.
Some streets to discover if you happen to’re into road artwork: Rua das Flores (search for the Perspéntico blue cat), Rua Miguel Bombarda, Escadas do Codeçal, the backstreets of Riberia and Cedofeita. There’s additionally a extremely cool 3D Half Rabbit in Villa Nova De Gaia.
11. São Bento prepare station
São Bento prepare station is included in plenty of excursions if you happen to’re taking one. The place they’ll clarify the which means and historical past of all of them. Nevertheless, if you happen to’re doing a self guided tour, it’s fast, straightforward and free to only poke your head in and have a nostril round for five minutes in your option to lunch.
12. Clerigos tower
I used to stroll previous this on a regular basis on my option to work and never even discover it. Now it’s grow to be fairly the vacationer attraction. You may climb it if you need however actually there’s higher views from plenty of the rooftop bars. I do know most of you studying this Porto journey information are doing quick 2-3 day metropolis journeys and wish to know what to do and what to skip so I’m giving my sincere opinion.
Nevertheless, you probably have youngsters with you and might’t go to rooftop bars, then climbing the tower, going to Jardim Do Morrow or Porto Cathedral are nice vista factors.
If you happen to get there for midday, you may hearken to the bells whereas have an espresso and Bolinhos de bacalhau from on the foot of tower.
Ticket costs: Tower & Museum: €5 | €2.50 w/ Porto Card. Guided Tour €6.50. Tower Evening Move 7 PM–11 PM: €5
13. Go to Douro Valley
Okay, this isn’t technically in Porto but it surely’s a tour supplied from Porto that was the spotlight of our journey. If you happen to like breathtaking views, wine, port, exploring and need an genuine Portuguese expertise do that!
I like to recommend reserving one that features a river cruise just like the one we booked. Particularly if you happen to’re on the lookout for one thing romantic to do in Porto or one thing enjoyable and scenic. I’ve carried out a separate assessment of this as there’s an excessive amount of to share right here and it deserves it’s personal assessment.
14. Take pleasure in views from a rooftop bar
Like I mentioned, Porto is a kind of cities you are feeling you don’t simply see. The tempo is extra relaxed and it’s one of the vital lovely European cities at sundown. So undoubtedly take time to benefit from the views. 360 can be nice for images as you may get the river, Dom Luis 1 bridge, cable automobile and Porto in your shot.
15. Go to a Fado present
There are many Fado reveals in Portugal. Whether or not you go to a dinner present or a extra conventional taverna with dwell music. I was a dancer within the present Amar Amalia after I lived right here and it’s a really shifting and conventional option to expertise the Portuguese tradition.
9 finest Porto Rooftop bars and eating places with views
- 360 Lounge, Villa Nova De Gaia (port cave aspect of the river on prime of Espacio Porto Cruz). We went right here for lunch and after dinner drinks, it’s additionally a shocking place to look at sundown because the views up listed here are unimaginable. They serve meals and drinks and are open from 12:30-midnight. If you happen to’re going for sundown, both make a reservation or go early because it will get busy.
- Vinum (in Grahams) is a romantic spot for for dinner and/or sundown drinks.
- Esplanada Teleferico okay so it’s not technically a rooftop bar but it surely’s perched on the highest of the hill and has probably the most unimaginable views, cocktails and charcuterie.
- LIFT Rooftop ViaCatarina 11am-11pm. If you happen to’re on the lookout for someplace to have brunch in Porto with a view, they provide a rooftop brunch each Saturday from 12.30-4pm. You want reservations for brunch however the remainder of the time it’s on a 1st come, 1st serve foundation foundation.
- Decimosetimo 17 rooftop bar and restaurant, is a sublime rooftop bar with cheap costs and exquisite views. It’s situated on the prime of the Lodge Dom Henrique Downtown.
- Douro sky lounge buzzy cocktails, by river.
- Portobello rooftop, opens 5pm and is centrally situated.
- Rooftop bar at Porto Coliseum Lodge. If you happen to’re on the lookout for someplace extra informal that’s additionally central.4-9pm.
- AUGE Porto is sort of far North however swanky and price trying out on-line.
Different issues to see and do in Porto Portugal
We didn’t have time to do these however they’re on plenty of Porto journey guides and price trying out if you happen to’re there for just a few days or on the lookout for one thing else to do. If you happen to don’t drink and aren’t doing the Port caves or Douro Valley you’ll undoubtedly have time to do them.
- Livraria Lello: I’d actually wished to do that however my husband didn’t so we skipped this. I’d wished to snap pics right here because it appears to be like like a superb picture opp however my husband accurately identified it’d in all probability be inconceivable to get a photograph with out a number of different folks in it too. If you wish to go to this Harry Potter-esque library you could pre-purchase tickets because it’s certainly one of Porto’s hottest vacationer attraction. If you happen to didn’t purchase tickets prematurely on-line, you may get them from Armazéns do Castelo (9.45am-7 PM)which is true on the nook shut by. Entry tickets 5E Livraria Lello.
- TukTuk guided metropolis tour
- Non-public strolling tour w/port tasting
- Palacio da Bolsa inventory change 45 min guided tour. We wished to do that however you actually need to e book prematurely and we couldn’t decide to a time. The language the tour is finished is set by 1st arrival, so get there early! Single: € 10.00, 50% off with Porto Card. R. de Ferreira Borges, 4050-253 Porto.
- Igreja de São Francisco if you happen to like church buildings that is price a go to. If you happen to’re on the lookout for a Porto picture spot, you may take photos on the steps. The #1 tram talked about above goes from right here if you happen to’re planning on taking that.
The place one of the best place to take images in Porto
If you happen to’re on the lookout for the proper Insta picture this metropolis has so many nice picture spots. There’s tons extra however to call just a few:
- Jardim Do Morrow
- The center of Pont Dom Luis 1
- Bar 360 at Espaço Porto Cruz
- Esplanada Teleferico veranda
- Ribeira waterfront
- Villa Nova De Gaia waterfront
- Jardins do Palacio de Cristal Porto (my condo was proper by right here and we’d take our pastries right here to sit down and benefit from the views).
- Livraria Lello you probably have the persistence
- Wherever within the Douro Valley
The best way to get round Porto
That is my favourite option to get round Porto and discover cities. It’s an attractive metropolis to discover by foot however be ready for plenty of hills and steps.
Taxi or Uber
Dependable, quick and fairly inexpensive. The Ubers in Portugal and less expensive than in America.
Metro / Tram
The trams in Porto are a scenic and straightforward option to discover town. They run fairly regularly and are straightforward to hop on and off at, at frequent stops.
This card provides you free public transport in addition to entry to six museums. It additionally presents some reductions on skip-the-line passes & some eating places. I’ve by no means personally purchased one however most Porto journey guides will recommend this if you happen to’re planning on going to some museums.
The place to remain in Porto
We stayed at Torel Palace for its location, score and the way beautiful it regarded in the entire images. Right here’s my full assessment of this Porto lodge. It was so pretty to come back again to every day because it was so peaceable and effectively air conditioned. Plus the champagne breakfast, pastries and truffles had been actually good (sure, I like my food and drinks).
Extra journey guides